Doo Dah dances for homecoming

• File photo

Rhythmical steps will beat across the stage as contestants show off their moves at this year’s annual Doo Dah/Step Show.

The Doo Dah/Step Show is a Homecoming tradition that has been in effect for several years. Various fraternities and sororities perform steps, dances and routines to win the grand prize of money and spirit points.

The University Programming Board and Student Government Association will collaborate to host the step show in Hanner Fieldhouse on Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. as a way to initiate homecoming festivities.

“It’s a dance slash step show and different student organizations compete in three categories.  The three categories are dance, step and Doo Dah mixed with spirit points and also prizes,” Ashley Nixon, special events chair for UPB, said.

The Doo Dah winners win money and spirit points. Doo Dah and step have first, second and third place in each category.  First place receives $200, second place receives $100 and third place receives $50.  There is only one winner in the dance category and they will receive $200, Nixon said.

“This year, all the proceeds that go towards Doo Dah, the dollar that it costs to get in, is going to our Eagle to Eagles Fund from Student Government Association,” Garrett Green, Student Government president, said.

The turnout is always a success and Hanner Fieldhouse is always packed for the event. This event is huge for the student population at Georgia Southern University.

“I’ve participated in Doo Dah a couple of years ago and it has been a part of homecoming tradition for a long time,” Green said. “Personally what made it special for me was the practicing that we did before the show.  I performed with Alpha Delta Pi sorority and some of my Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity brothers that were a part of SGA were on our team. What made it so special was we taught the ADPi sorority girls how to step and we spent a lot of time together and I enjoyed time with my brothers. When it came time for Do Dah and we won it made all of the effort worth it.”