Eagles come up short against Wofford 0-2

•  

Hayden Boudreaux

It was a dismal weekend for the Georgia Southern University women’s soccer team (5-10-2, Southern Conference 3-5-1) as it fell to Southern Conference opponent Wofford College (8-3-5, SoCon 4-1-4).

The match began with sophomore midfielder Cori Dulmage taking a shot on goal in the 10th minute that was blocked by the Wofford goalkeeper.

Six minutes later Wofford junior midfielder Emily Bougas dribbled past the Eagle defenders and set a pass over to sophomore forward Chloe Brackett who took a shot at the bottom right of the goal that slid past junior goalkeeper Molly Williams, putting Wofford ahead 1-0.

Eagle junior forward Sydney Van Curen took a shot of her own which was, again, blocked by the Wofford keeper in what would be the final shot for GSU in the first half.

The second half was a battle for possession from both teams. Wofford dropped back an extra defender to help preserve their lead, which made it difficult for GSU to take a shot. Sophomore forward Nora El-Shami managed to scamper through the defense and take a shot on goal, but it was denied.

El-Shami continued to put pressure on the Wofford defense, dribbling up and attempting another shot only to have it tipped off-target. She was assisted by sophomore forward Caitlin Tongco who had a shot of her own that went wide right of the goal.

With the game winding down, GSU pushed up to try and get a tie and head into overtime. Wofford took advantage of the aggressive offense as a midfielder sent a cross over to senior midfielder Alex Kachulis who headed the ball in to secure the lead for the Terriers, 2-0.

Head coach Brian Dunleavy believed that Wofford just wanted the win more and outplayed the Eagles.

“We were outworked and outplayed by a team that wanted to win. We created some good opportunities but couldn’t finish them. They took their chances well and fully deserved their points. We have to get back to business now and focus on Davidson,” Dunleavy said in a news release.

The Eagles move into their final game of the season against Davidson College on Wednesday. The outcome will determine whether GSU will move into the Southern Conference Tournament, which takes the top eight teams, where a loss could send them into a three-way tie for eighth place and a win could secure a spot. The match will be at Eagle Field at 7 p.m.