Farmer’s market is good for everyone

Brittany Walker

Tuesday marked the first day of the on-campus farmer’s market for fall semester. If you haven’t checked out this one or the off-campus one, I highly recommend both. Farmer’s markets are a win-win for everyone. The environment, the local economy and individuals all greatly benefit from farmer’s markets.

Food travels an average of 1,500 miles before it reaches the grocery store. This one fact exemplifies how the environment, local economy and individuals all benefit more from the food sold at a local farmer’s market rather than from a grocery store chain. Firstly, fossil fuels are guzzled by semis as the food travels across the nation to reach our local Wal-Mart or BILO. Secondly, when food is bought at a grocery store chain, most of the profits are funneled back to the corporation headquarters rather than supporting the local economy. Lastly, as your fruit or vegetable travels for days – or even weeks – vital nutrients break down and are lost. Another personal health benefit is that there are more organic options at farmer’s markets than at grocery stores. Non-organic produce contains health-harming pesticides and herbicides, and the way it is grown is often less sustainable for the soil.

I know as college students we are all concerned about money, but the prices are actually very reasonable and comparable to buying it from a grocery store, especially for the produce. The market accepts cash and debit/credit cards. If you are interested in checking it out, the on-campus farmer’s market will be Sept. 17, Oct.1 and 15 and Nov. 5 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. The off-campus market is every Saturday from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.  and will run until November. Shopping at a local farmer’s market is easy and good for everyone. Hope to see you there!