Students given power to choose Homecoming entertainment

Lilly McCann

Georgia Southern University students have the opportunity to vote for their entertainment to perform this year during Homecoming Week.

“We wanted to give GSU students a voice and a vote is a way to be heard,” Chatise Smith, University Programming Board’s Spirit and Traditions Chair, said.

This will be the first time that students are given the opportunity to vote for their Homecoming entertainment.

“We chose from what comedians are hot now. We wanted to bring comedians that students would want to go to and we narrowed it down to who would fit our Georgia Southern Community best,” said Ashley Nixon, University Programming Board’s Special Events Chair.

Candidates for this year are nationally acclaimed comedians, Dormtainment, Lil Duval, Upright Citizens Brigade and Jeff Dye with Donnell Rawlings and Damien Lemon.

“Honestly, whoever wins I’ll be excited. We didn’t choose them for me, it’s for the students, that is what the UPB is for,” Nixon said.

Dormtainment is a group of six best friends and entertainers who on the pursuit to get their own television show and pay off their debts, began a series of YouTube videos satirizing the facets of college life. From bad roommates to relationships to drinking games accompanied by Al Yankovic-style raps and humorous skits.

-Lil Duval was a semi-finalist on BET’s “Coming to Stage” and frequently appears on the MTV2 series “Guy Code” and “Hip Hop Squares.” Lil Duval also hosts the video show on MTV2, “Ain’t that America.”

Upright Citizens Brigade(UCB)  is a improvisational and sketch comedy group that began in the 90s with an impressive member list that has included comedians, Matt Besser and Amy Poehler and has a television show from 1998-2000.

-Multi-talented entertainer Jeff Dye has appeared on Comedy Central and currently hosts MTV’s prank show, “Money from Strangers.” Dye is also one of the stars of MTV’s “Girl Code,” and a semi-finalist in “Last Comic Standing.”

Accompanying Dye, are two well-known comedians Donnell Rawlings and Damien Lemon. Rawlings is best known for his character on Comedy Central’s “Chappelle‘s Show” and coined catch phrase, “I ‘m rich, biachhh!” Damien Lemon is also a cast member of “Guy Code.” Lemon has climbed the comedic circuit throughout New York at a rapid pace by appearing on MTV’s “Hip Hop Squares” and his recent role in “The Amazing Spiderman.”

Voting ends Friday at midnight. Students can cast their votes through MyInvolvement, by liking their comedian of choice on UPB’s Facebook page or Instagram or by tweeting to @GSupb.

The winning comedians will be announced next week and the winner will perform during Homecoming on Nov. 5 at Hanner Fieldhouse.