Brown begins a new journey

• Photo by: Demario Cullars/Junior Robert Brown (5) tries to turn the corner versus Samford.

Will Cheney

Georgia Southern University senior running back Robert Brown’s productive college football career has come to an end after he was medically disqualified in June due to multiple injuries.

Brown, one of head football coach Jeff Monken’s first signings, won the Region I AAAA Offensive player of the year in 2009 at Westside High School in Macon, Ga. When Brown visited GSU as a recruit, he knew it was where he wanted to play college football.

“When I came to visit Georgia Southern – of course I visited several other schools – I felt as if I knew the players as well as my own brothers. It made it like a home away from home,” Brown said.

Brown hit the ground running as a freshman, rushing for 122 yards in his collegiate debut back in 2010. If that was not enough to solidify the young star, Brown ran for 178 yards and a score in the second round of the playoffs in the upset of College of William & Mary. Brown was named to the Southern Conference All-Freshman team.

Brown became the first freshman to rush for more than 1,000 yards since GSU legend Adrian Peterson in 1998, and the first true freshman to do so since Joe Ross in 1987.

Brown may not be playing this season, but he will not stray far. He will be taking a sideline position with the team in 2013. With his career coming to a close, Brown will spend his senior year, GSU’s last season as members of the SoCon, on the sidelines. Brown, however, has managed to stay positive throughout the ordeal.

“It opened my eyes. I was able to help players out when they needed help. They always came to me to ask for advice and if I could see what they were doing wrong and stuff like that,” Brown said. “It allowed me to see the aspect of my life as far as being a future coach, actually being able to help kids to better themselves, whether it’s a player or anybody else.”

Out of his entire career at GSU, Brown could not pick a single favorite moment. Rather, the entire experience itself.