Fashion students continue to shine through at GSU

Lindsey McCormick

Georgia Southern University adds a success story to its collection as a fashion-merchandising student breaks through the industry’s tough barriers and debuts her clothing line for the first time.

Key’yanna Jones, a junior fashion merchandising major, plans to dress up the Hyatt Regency Hotel of Savannah this Saturday. The fashion show starts at 6:30 p.m., and admission is $5.

With a Mardi Gras theme, the authentic French and Southern feel of New Orleans can be envisioned through Jones’ clothing line. Ya’nique Clothing, the debuted line, features a series of evening wear including short and long dresses that follow the classic gold, violet and emerald color scheme.

“I really became involved in fashion when growing up. My family could not afford new clothing for quite some time. I had to create my own styling and do as much as I possibly could to stay in with the trends,” Jones said.

“Last May, I participated in Atlanta’s Sunburst Beauty Pageant, where I designed and assembled my own dress. I won Miss Georgia Sunburst for my division, and I also took home a Best Attire award,” Jones said.

Before discovering her niche at GSU, Jones attended Savannah Technical College. While there she found that with designing clothing lines at a non-fashion oriented school comes struggles.

“My professors at my previous school would shy away from the pieces that I would try to create. Since I have come to Georgia Southern, my world has opened up with new experiences and techniques. Professor Hope Wallace has been nothing but a blessing to me. She always encourages everything I try to put together,” Jones said.

“This is my first year having Key’yanna as a student, and from what I have seen, she is very sweet and ambitious. The dress from the pageant that she created looked really good. This is a very big step for her, and I am curious to see her collection,” fashion professor Hope Wallace said.

This has been a year full of fashion forward achievements for GSU. Wallace won the People’s Choice Award at Charleston Fashion Week, GSU was named as a top fashion school in the nation and students, like Key’yanna Jones, continue to move forward in their fashion endeavors.