Gay Prom invites acceptance

Laurianna Cull

Students will have the opportunity to dance and groove in an accepting environment at Gay Prom.

The Williams Center Multipurpose Room will host Gay Prom Saturday Nov. 3 from 7 p.m. to midnight.

“Gay prom is open for all students, anyone who respects love without regard to gender or sexual orientation,” Michelle Allen, graduate assistant of the Multicultural Student Center, said.

The organizers of Gay Prom have worked to make sure that the dance gives students the full prom experience.

There will be decorations, a drink fountain, a photo area, a DJ, a dessert table, a gift for everyone there and more. The theme this year is Masquerade.

“We want to make it like the real prom experience. We’re going all out,” Allen said.

“Gay prom gives people that were in high school and didn’t feel comfortable with their significant other at prom an opportunity for inclusion and acceptance,” Allen said.

Students are excited to have this experience in a safe and accepting environment.

“I am very excited about gay prom. I feel it will be a wonderful opportunity to meet new people and strengthen bonds within the community here at Georgia Southern,” Harrison Hogan, freshman chemistry and French major, said.

Students are encouraged to come in whatever clothing they feel comfortable.

“Last year, some students came in suits and tuxes, and others wore slacks and a polo shirt,” Allen said.

Last year, the attendance was around 200-300. The Multicultural Center is hoping for an even bigger turn out this year and plans on making Gay Prom an annual event.

Erinn Williams, freshman history and English major, said, “It’s a great way for people to just be themselves and have fun without being judged.”