Hidden Gems Clip!
Earth Day

Faulconer announces all-decade team

By Berry Aldridge, Sports Editor

In 2005, Armstrong State University made the decision to add Women’s Soccer as a varsity sport and join the Peach Belt Conference, naming Eric Faulconer as the first head coach.  Nine years, three PBC regular season titles, three PBC tournament titles, six NCAA playoff berths, and 143 wins later, coach Faulconer and the Pirates have established and maintained a powerhouse Division II soccer program with no signs of slowing down.

With all of the success that ASU has seen over the last ten years, Faulconer wished to honor a handful of players that he determined as the 10th Anniversary Team, or All-Decade Team.

“The 2014 season is the tenth year of Armstrong soccer,” said Faulconer, “so we decided it would be great to recognize the top players that have played in our program since the inaugural season in 2005. To be eligible for selection, a player must have graduated from Armstrong, unless they are a current student-athlete, then they just needed to be in good standing and making progress toward graduation.”

In total 14 players and one honorary captain were named to the team. The players are Kristin Burton, Lyndsi Stricklen, Morgan Mitchell, Kristina Pascutti, Jamie Craine, Donna Cheyne, Kelli Bahr, Carey Patterson, Emily Cattanach, Nadima Skeff, Courtney Cawley, Andye Dawson, Morgan Luckie, Taylor Russell.

“It is a tremendous honor considering the number of players and the amount of talent that has come through the program,” said three time All-American Kristin Burton, “When I played we were a very young program. I feel that I helped lay the foundation and every year they are able to set the bar a little higher.”

The honorary captain is Erin Holt. Holt suffered a devastating car crash last year that many thought might claim her life. However, Erin has already exceeded doctor’s expectations and has been an inspiration to any and all associated with her.

Only two current Pirates grace the list, senior defender and 2013 All-American Taylor Russell, and junior goalkeeper and 2013 All- Region honoree Morgan Luckie.

“I cannot thank coach Faulconer enough for his belief in my over these last two years and for recognizing me with this indescribable honor,” said Luckie, “I honestly would not have accomplished anything in my career without the outstanding teammates playing in front of me game in and game out.”

On Saturday, September 20th, at 1:00 p.m., the entire 10th Anniversary Team will be honored prior to Armstrong’s home match versus PBC rival Columbus State.