Armstrong hoops for a healthy heart

hoops for heart
A team made up of current and former Pirate basketball players took home the trophy. Friday, Feb. 5, 2016 (Photo by Taylor Thomas)

Taylor Thomas, Staff Writer

Last Friday, Feb 5, Armstrong’s Sigma Tau chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority celebrated their annual “Pink Goes Red Impact Day” with their very first basketball tournament at Armstrong’s Rec Center.

The impact day is in conjunction with the American Heart Association’s “Go Red For Women” day. “Go Red For Women” raises awareness about the impact of heart disease and stroke among women.

“Every year Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. hosts a “Pink Goes Red” event in order to promote the importance of heart health. This year we decided to host a basketball tournament in which we had six teams to participate and allowed spectators to come and watch,” said Courtney Miller, president of Sigma Tau Chapter and a senior Early Childhood Education major.

The tournament included six teams of five, composed of both Armstrong and Savannah State students.

Each team played two 10-minute halves until two championship teams remained. The tournament also featured a lighthearted halftime show of musical chairs, where members of Sigma Tau chapter and the audience competed for the win.

The last game was the highlight of the tournament. With 10 seconds left on the clock and Team 3 up 32-30, Team 3 and Team 6 battled it out in a heated competition for the winning title.

In the end, Team 3 (Jamal Ingram, Mykese Thompson, Deon Holmes, Carlos Brown and Emmanuel Tuscular), won 34-30. The team was composed of Armstrong undergraduate, graduate students, and current and former members of Armstrong’s men’s basketball team. Each team member received a trophy from Sigma Tau chapter for their win.

According to Miller, the tournament was a success. “We had such a great turnout. The audience and teams included many students from other organizations throughout Armstrong, which was a great way to increase campus unity and involvement,” Miller said. “We plan to do this again.”

Kiara Franklin, a member of Sigma Tau chapter and a senior Health Administration major, was a spectator.

“I really enjoyed the game,” Franklin said. “It was fun to see the excitement of all the players in the tournament. Events like this are important because it gets the students involved whether they’re participating or watching, and it’s for a good cause.”

All the proceeds will be donated to the AHA, and the school supplies will go toward Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.’s One Million Backpacks Campaign, which will provide school supplies for students in need.