Women’s basketball goes 3-1, men win three straight over break

Starting September 1, Georgia Southern will be requiring all students currently enrolled to complete two mandatory online training courses, which will educate students with issues regarding sexual assault and alcohol awareness, and must be completed by October 26.

The sexual assault course, Haven, concerns sexual assault awareness and prevention. According to its website, Haven “addresses the critical issues of sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking, which impact countless college students across the country.” Haven was made a federal mandate by the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination (SaVE) Act, which requires students to learn about sexual violence.

The alcohol course, AlcoholEdu, will focus on the effects of alcohol and to help students make better decisions regarding drinking habits. According to its website, “A federally funded, 30-campus randomized control trial found that AlcoholEdu reduces high-risk drinking and alcohol-related harms among college students.”

Kerry Greenstein, Associate Dean of Students, spoke about the content students can expect to encounter while taking the courses. “It should take between 30 minutes and an hour to complete each course,” says Greenstein. “There’s the quiz, there’s the videos, it’s almost like a PowerPoint presentation that will take you through with the information. There will also be a degree interactivity in some portions of the programs. There’s a few spots that are directed to you,” Greenstein stated. “It’ll ask you to check the boxes that are appropriate to you or what do you think, there will be those options.”

Students currently enrolled will only have to take each course once. According to Greenstein, “Once we get it to every student now, then there will be measures to take with just the incoming students.”

While a deadline has been set, no consequence has been decided on as of yet. “We’re still working through some of the details,” says Greenstein. “At this point I can’t give you the specifics, but [the deadline] is right around registration time…could it be tied to registration? It’s possible…the point is students need to take it to make sure they don’t have any future problems.”

Caleb Bailey, Sports Editor

screen-shot-2016-12-01-at-10-48-12-am
Photo Courtesy of Armstrong Communications

The Armstrong Pirates men’s and women’s basketball team saw a ton of success over the Thanksgiving break as the former won all three of their games to extend their win streak to four, while the latter won three of their four games to get to 3-4 on the year.

The men’s team started their week of excitement with a thrilling 81-78 victory over the Saint Leo Lions that saw senior Jamison Jeffers nail a last-second three pointer to pull out the victory. Junior Montrel Goldston had a big day off the bench with a game-high 28 points while also pulling down four rebounds.

The Pirates also went undefeated in the Horne Thanksgiving Classic with wins over Livingstone Friday, Nov. 25 and Fayetteville State Saturday, Nov. 26. In the latter game, a 75-64 victory, Armstrong got a boost from their starters with all five Pirates recording double-digit points, including junior KJ James’s team-high 19 points.

The Pirates are now 4-2 on the year and look to keep their winning ways going as they open the month of December with a big road game against former in-state rival Valdosta State Thursday, Dec. 1.

The women’s team saw their equal share of success over the break as they won three straight games after starting the year 0-3. Their three wins included a big overtime victory over Barton College Friday, Nov. 18 as part of the 3rd Annual BJ Ford Classic on the Armstrong campus.

In that game, senior Brigitta Barta had a big game with a 21-point, 12-rebound double-double. Junior Machala Raymonville had a big night for the Pirates as well, leading the team with 22 points off the bench.

The Pirates also competed in the 2016 Nova Southeastern Thanksgiving Classic over the weekend and opened it up with a dominant 84-73 win over Palm Beach Atlantic. Their three-game win streak came to an end when they dropped a game to tournament host Nova Southeastern Saturday, Nov. 26.

The Pirates look to get back on track this week when they take part in the 2016 Heritage Bank Classic in Morrow, Georgia with a match-up with Shaw Friday, Dec. 2 and another Saturday, Dec. 3 against Chowan.