Campus Corkboard – January 24-31

Here is a list of events on the Armstrong Campus as well as around the city of Savannah!

Pick of the Week

Roland S. Martin visits Armstrong in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration

The first staff’s event “Pick of the Week” aligns with the celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day this previous Monday. Renowned journalist Roland S. Martin will be the keynote speaker during the MLK celebration on Armstrong’s campus Wednesday, Jan. 30 at 12 p.m. in the Student Union.

Martin is currently hosting and managing the first online daily show #RolandMartinUnfiltered and delves into politics, culture, entertainment and sports from a African American centered perspective.

Martin has earned many accolades throughout his prestigious career including more than 30 journalistic awards and has authored three non-fiction books.

Seeing Martin speak is a must for journalism and writing majors. Students and faculty are encouraged to attend.  

Thursday, Jan. 24

Piano in the Arts: Baroque, Romantic, Contemporary

7:30 p.m.

Fine Arts Auditorium

Pianist Daniel Schene has long been known as a consummate artist and a superlative teacher. Having performed throughout the United States, Canada, South America, and Asia, concert-goers have come to admire his comprehensive musicianship and formidable technique.

Savannah Browse

11 a.m.-1 p.m.

Student Union

The Savannah Browse gives campus departments, Savannah area businesses and non-profit agencies an opportunity to visit campus and share information about their goods and services with Georgia Southern students, staff and faculty. It is also an excellent opportunity to directly provide our incoming and returning students with knowledge of business, organizations, or department’s services within the Georgia Southern and Savannah communities.

UPB Movie Night: Nobody’s Fool

7-8 p.m.

Ogeechee Theatre

The University Programming Board (UPB) is hosting their first movie night of the semester qabd screening “Nobody’s Fool”. There will be free concessions! Students, please bring your Eagle IDs. If you need assistance to access for this event please email us prior to the event.

Friday, Jan. 25

Faculty Lecture Series, “Sustainable Aquaponics Research Center: Striving to Improve the Sustainability of Aquaponics”

12:15-1:15 p.m.

Ogeechee Theatre

Learn about exciting research currently being conducted at the FORAM Sustainable Aquaponics Research Center on the Armstrong Campus of Georgia Southern University. Aquaponics is the combination of fish production (aquaculture) and vegetable production through hydroponics (soilless farming with plant roots directly in water).  This form of food production alleviates environmental risks associated with traditional aquaculture and agriculture. While aquaponics has the potential to sustainably feed a growing global population, there remain economical challenges, particularly related to operational costs that impede creation of a sustainable aquaponics industry.  Dr. Joesting discusses how aquaponics systems work, the benefits and challenges of aquaponics, and the current projects underway at SARC.

Street Clothes//Fevergreen//Chloe Kay

8-11 p.m.

El Rocko Lounge

El Rocko Lounge in downtown Savannah is hosting a night of various musical acts including Savannah locals, Street Clothes, Chloe Kay, and Evergreen, both of Atlanta, Ga.

Saturday, Jan. 26

2019: Night at the Museum

3-10 p.m.

Savannah History Museum

303 MLK JR. Drive, downtown Savannah

The annual event takes visitors through night guard training and then on a behind-the-scenes tour of the museum. Guests will be able to interact with historic characters from Savannah History Museum’s exhibits as they appear to magically come to life. This year’s characters include: Casimir Pulaski, Flannery O’Connor, a Central of Georgia Railroad worker, and many more! Tickets are $12 per person and require pre-registration.

Sunday, Jan. 27

Edible Plant Hike

10 a.m.

Fort McAllister State Historic Park

Enjoy a scenic hike with our park Naturalist and learn helpful tricks to identifying edible wild plants in Georgia. We’ll be searching for local plants that have medicinal properties, some used for tea, seasonings, and especially ones that could be poisonous. Dogs are welcome but must be kept on a 6-foot leash. Cost: $2 per person plus $5 ParkPass per vehicle. For more information, call the park office at 912-727-2339.

Whale Week Reception and Yoga

1-4:30 p.m.

Oatland Island Wildlife Center

A free mindfulness and yoga session explores the perilous migration of the species at 2 p.m., guided by Dr. Doretha Walker. Loop It Up Savannah will display Right Whale art work made by students and Tybee Island Marine Science Center will discuss artifacts from the whale science community. Light refreshments will be served. Please join us in honoring and protecting Georgia’s state marine mammal, as we build the future of our Coastal Georgia heritage.

Monday, Jan. 28

Student Juried Exhibition

Begins at 9 a.m. and continues until Feb. 8.

Fine Arts Gallery

The Fine Arts Gallery will be hosting its first senior exhibition of the semester for graduating art-based majors.  

Tuesday, Jan. 29

Speed FITting

11 a.m.-1 p.m.

Student Union

Get ready for Spring Break with speedy advice for a healthier you at SpeedFITting! Join us for free, quick consultations (in the form of “speed-dating”) from nutritionists and personal trainers on how to maintain a healthy weight.

SOLD Series Workshop

5:30-6:30 p.m.

Ogeechee Theatre

The Student Organization Leadership Development (SOLD) Workshop Series is designed for any student seeking to develop their individual leadership capabilities and for students who currently or aspire to hold a leadership position within a student organization. This series is an excellent way for student organizations to train their next leaders.

Wednesday, Jan. 30

2019 MLK Celebration

12 p.m.

Student Union

Award-winning journalist Roland S. Martin will be this year’s speaker at the MLK Celebration. He is a four-time NAACP Image Award Winner and has been named one of the 150 Most Influential African Americans in the United States by Ebony Magazine.

Stop the Bleed Class

11 a.m.-1 p.m.

Armstrong Student Success Center, Rm. 102

Learn how to save a life! This class will teach you several techniques on how to stop a bleeding emergency.

Thursday, Jan. 31

Science on Tap: Pouring Science Into Our Community

6-8 p.m.

Savannah Coffee Roasters

Dr. Danny Gleason, Professor of Biology and Director of James H. Oliver Jr. Institute for Coastal Plain Science, will present “Spinless Critters: The Backbone of the Ocean” as the featured speaker at the College of Science and Mathematics Science on Tap Lecture Series.

Documentary Film: Black America Since MLK

6:30-8:30 p.m.

The Beach Institute Film Series Presents

Black America Since MLK: And Still I Rise (Part 1)

This series looks at the last five decades of African American history through the eyes of Henry Louis Gates, Jr., exploring the tremendous gains and persistent challenges of these years. Drawing on eyewitness accounts, scholarly analysis and rare archival footage, the series illuminates our recent past, while raising urgent questions about the future of the African American community–and our nation as a whole. Filmmakers include Leah Williams, Leslie Asako Gladsjo, Sabin Streeter and Talleah Bridges McMahon

Last Look: From Monet to Matisse

6-8 p.m.

Jepson Center for the Arts

Monet to Matisse: Masterworks of French Impressionism closes on February 10. Bid the exhibition adieu with this final lecture, “The Impact of Modernity on Impressionist Art,” with speaker Dr. Rihab Bagnole. Members free and non-members $8. Pre-registration is required.

Late Bloomer /GirlWithAGreenRibbon / Dollar Signs / Valley Gals

9 p.m.- 12 a.m.

El Rocko Lounge, downtown Savannah

El Rocko Lounge hosts Late Bloomer and Dollar Signs from Charlotte, N.C. and local bands GirlWithAGreenRibbon and Valley Gals.