Hidden Gems Clip!
Earth Day

Students Talk Global Warming

Javanna Rogers, Staff Writer

Global warming has once again become one of the most talked about issues around the world recently when teenager Greta Thunberg’s speech at the U.N. Climate Action Summit on Sept. 23 went viral.

Glaciers are melting, temperatures are rising and animals are losing their homes. 

According to National Geographic, “Climate change encompasses not only rising average temperatures but also extreme weather events, shifting wildlife populations and habitats, rising seas, and a range of other impacts. All of these changes are emerging as humans continue to add heat-trapping greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.”

Students were asked how they felt about climate change and there were various answers given.

Shakeem Albany, a sophomore, said, “Mother Earth need to get it together. Put trash in the right spot. Respect the area around you.”

According to The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), “On Earth, human activities are changing the natural greenhouse. Over the last century the burning of fossil fuels like coal and oil has increased the concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2). This happens because the coal or oil burning process combines carbon with oxygen in the air to make CO2. To a lesser extent, the clearing of land for agriculture, industry, and other human activities has increased concentrations of greenhouse gases.” 

It goes on to say, “If the warming were caused by a more active Sun, then scientists would expect to see warmer temperatures in all layers of the atmosphere. Instead, they have observed a cooling in the upper atmosphere, and a warming at the surface and in the lower parts of the atmosphere. That’s because greenhouse gases are trapping heat in the lower atmosphere.”

Industrial Products such as cars, factories, machinery and gas have produced greenhouse gases that goes into the atmosphere. 

Megan Carlisle, a housing staff member, said, “I am not having children until real steps are taken toward the reversing/preventing climate change.” She then quotes Greta Thunberg exclaiming “You have stolen my dreams with your empty words.”. 

Gabby Baxter, senior, said, “I feel that climate change is REAL. People should be taken seriously. Just because it’s not affecting you doesn’t mean its not hurting others.”

Zay Munoz, senior, said, “It’s a big deal. I am  the problem with climate change. I leave it to the other people to fix it.

To find out more about climate change and how yo can stop it, go to:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/global-warming-solutions/

Climate.nasa.gov

Nationalgeographic.org