Family Weekend

Justin Helms, Multimedia Journalist

Friday through Sunday has a schedule full of activities for parents visiting their students.  This weekend is mostly centered around the football team’s game against Arkansas State.

The team is currently 1-3 trying to turn things around under the new interim coach Kevin WhitelyThis is especially important to some of the players whose parents get the chance to watch their son play at Paulson Stadium.

“It means a lot to a lot of the players on the team that their family is not too close. Just last year we had a player from Nebraska… So, that means a lot for players like them,” said Senior Defensive-Back Justin Birdsong.

Some of the other planned events include block parties, silent auctions, and a movie on the lawn at Sweetheart Circle planned on campus.  Families like Birdsong’s have created some gameday weekend traditions of their own. 

“Sunday after the game we’ll go out to a breakfast … Especially weekends like family weekend you’ll probably pretty much see the whole football team out at Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel,” Birdsong said.

Not only does the weekend give players and students a chance to be with their relatives. Players also get the opportunity to learn more about their teammates.  

“Just seeing the type of background that some of our players come from, or just the type of family members that they have. It’s real interesting for us,” said Birdsong.