YOUR DIVINE NINE: Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Sigma gamma rho sorority inc. Was the last of four sororities to be founded in the divine nine.

Founded on the principles of sisterhood, scholarship, and service the sorority strives for greater service and greater progress.

Sigma gamma rho focuses on the betterment of women and their families and is the only sorority that was founded at a predominantly white institution, Butler University.

“Giving back to my community is knowing that I can look at an individual in the community and know that I made an impact, ensuring that whatever they were going through… it has helped them…”

Georgia Southerns chapter,  Tau Xi was chartered on the Statesboro campus on November 10, 2017.

The Tau Xi chapter makes their mark on campus by hosting events that focus on mental health, swimming, and being of educational service to local youth, with their national service initiative, Operation Bigbookbag.

The initiative assists children within the education system who may be experiencing homelessness or living in extended-care hospitals or facilities. 

Their initiative Swim 1922 assists people with in the black community learn the skill of swimming and why knowing how to swim is so important.

They use tabling events to spread this information and other resources available to those on campus who may not know how to swim. 

“We give out pamphlets and other information about the importance of swimming, because there are large rates of drowning every year, and we just want to make sure that everyone knows that there’s programs and/or classes on the campus, especially at the RAC, that offer CPR and swim lessons.”

You can stay up to date with the Tau Xi chapter by following them on Instagram @tauxipoodles