Student Poll: What Should Replace the Gus Mart?

Bazya+Smith+

Bazya Smith

Students are allowed to help choose what will be taking over the space inside the Student Union that the Gus Mart formerly occupied. Students can also learn about a program that will help them with their required course materials by the first day of classes.

I recently met with Derick Robertson, the Director of Retail Services, and discussed some changes in the Student Union. While some students may be apprehensive about the consolidation of the bookstore and the Gus Mart, Robertson is hopeful that these renovations will bring about positive changes for the student body and faculty of Georgia Southern.

He describes the remodeling of the bookstore as an opportunity that has freed up space within the Student Union and created a one-stop shop for students to buy supplies, snacks and spirit-wear.

Robertson has asked me to create a poll in which students can give their opinion about what should replace the Gus Mart. By clicking this link and filling out the survey, you can help decide what should happen to this newly unoccupied space.

In the recently published article, “What’s Happening in the Student Union,” I asked Robertson some of the questions I still had about the difficulties both students and staff have faced this semester regarding books and course materials.

Robertson described the obstacles that retail services faced in the first few weeks of classes as the unexpected semester complications that have grown to be expected. This semester, one of the publishers of textbooks widely used at Georgia Southern had neglected to inform retailers of increasing prices. In turn, students could not access certain online textbooks after purchasing them.

In previous semesters, supply chain issues and labor shortages prevented physical textbooks from being delivered on time.

The solution that Robertson suggests to help students receive their course materials on time is a program called Day 1 Access. This program encourages instructors to submit their required course materials to retail services so that the supplies can be ordered and secured before the coming semester. Students will then be automatically billed through their Georgia Southern accounts and receive access to their materials by the first day of classes.

For some students, the thought of automatically being charged for textbooks sends a shiver down their spine, but Robertson assures us that students can easily opt-in or out of the program. Additionally, Robertson affirms that the bookstores will be offering the lowest prices available from the publishers of these textbooks.

“We want to be cutting edge; we want to be able to provide the required material for students, when the students need it,” said Robertson.

For more information about the Day 1 Access program, visit this Georgia Southern University Store webpage. For further questions about the program, email Textbooks@GeorgiaSouthern.edu.