Celebrate Together Preview

What to expect at “Celebrate Together” 2022

Georgia Southern’s highly anticipated “Celebrate Together” event will take the Armstrong campus by storm on October 20 for the second year in a row, where several hundred faculty members and students will enjoy numerous activities and several dozen booths.

Celebrate Together has a long history dating back centuries at Armstrong Atlantic and State University, resurfacing here at GSU. Monica Ellis, an alumni member, refers to the event as “the start of the downhill slide” here in Savannah.

“Celebrate Armstrong” is an event focused on bringing students, faculty, staff, and the Savannah community together in one place,” said the Leadership & Community Engagement at Georgia Southern.

Students can watch the dance team’s performance, climb the rock wall, play archery tag, jump in the foam pit, and donate a dollar to the Armstrong Commitment Fund for a chance to dunk someone in the dunk tank. With no Covid restrictions, students are expecting to go all out.

The event will take place in the residential plaza, with activities kicking off at 10 a.m. and lasting until 2 p.m. 

A free t-shirt awaits each student, in addition to snow cones, hot dogs, and sodas.

“With it being my first year on campus after a horrific senior year, what I was hoping for more than anything, was to meet new people and get that ‘college experience’ everyone is always boasting about. Celebrate Together allowed me to meet my current roommates and I couldn’t be more thankful. Without this we may have never met,” said Phi Mu member Charity Blalock.

Although the event is now tied to Georgia Southern, the deeper outreach goes back to celebrating Armstrong’s campus and the community as a whole. 

Vendors from around the city will attend in hopes of advertising their products to students. Student organizations will also set up booths for anyone interested in learning more about how to get involved on campus.

Last year President Kyle Marrero was convinced to appear in the dunk tank.