Student Employees Being Celebrated with Weeklong Event

Brendan Ward

By Brendan Ward The George Anne staff

Graphic courtesy of the Student Employment Center

The Georgia Southern University Student Employment Center will celebrate student employees with national Student Employment Week from April 17 to 20.

“The main goal [of Student Employment Week] is to ensure students are aware that there are employment opportunities on campus,” Demetrius Bynes, director of talent acquisition at Human Resources, said. “It is all about experiential learning, preparing students for life after graduation.”

Monday, April 17

The week kicks off with a resume bootcamp and soft skills workshop in the Russell Union Upstairs.

The Office of Career Services will be on-site to critique students’ resumes and to cover resume basics from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The soft skills workshop will be taught by Jenna Tyson, GS’s Coordinator of Experiential Learning. There will be two sessions at 5:15 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Tuesday, April 18

The Department of Human Resources will be at the Rotunda Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to encourage students to follow them on social media.

They will give out Krispy Kreme doughnuts to any students who follow them on either Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

That night, there will be a Dress to Impress fashion show in the Williams Center from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Models will demonstrate both proper business casual and business formal wear.

There will also be a cookie and coffee bar at the event with Insomnia Cookies and Three Tree Coffee Roasters.

Wednesday, April 19

There will be a student employment job fair Wednesday in the Russell Union Ballroom from 9 a.m. to noon.

On-campus employers will be present to meet potential employees and conduct on-site interviews. Employers will be hiring for both Summer and Fall jobs.

Business casual attire is required to attend.

Thursday, April 20

Student Employment Week ends Thursday with Student Appreciation Day at the Russell Union Rotunda from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Student Appreciation Day is a wrap-up event for the week that will include live music, free food, giveaways and a wing-eating competition.

Both the Student Employee of the Month and Supervisor of the Year will be recognized during the event.

Students can learn more about Student Employment Week by following the Student Employment Center on social media: on Facebook at GASouthernSEC, on Twitter at GASouthern_SEC and on Instagram at @GASouthernSEC