Wham Bam Play Slam: Night of plays to pack a punch

Laurianna Cull

Think it’s impossible to put on a play in 24 hours? Georgia Southern’s theatre department doesn’t think so.

The theatre department will host their 4th annual 24 hour play festival called Wham Bam Play Slam this Fri Aug. 22 and Sat Aug. 23, and it’s free!

Any students who are interested in writing, directing, or acting in one of the plays will meet at the Center for Arts and Theatre in the Black Box at 7 p.m. on Friday and will perform their plays in the Black Box on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Wearing pajamas is encouraged and students are also welcome to have a sleepover in the CAT as they play games, write, practice, and mingle.

“This has become one of the best networking and bonding events we do because new students can meet old students and it is a nice break after auditions,” Lisa Abbott, associate professor of theatre, said.

After staying up until the wee hours of the night staring at a laptop, the writers will distribute their 10 minute plays to their assigned actors and director. The scripts are typically filled with hilarious jokes that will leave the audience roaring. Students then scramble to practice their lines, put together costumes, and find set pieces and props around the theater.

For example, some of last year’s shows included trips to hell, zombie sex, naughty princesses, and mischievous grannies. No idea is off the table and Wham Bam shows just how much students can do on little to no sleep.

“The plays that get produced from it are hysterical, irreverent and often R-rated but that’s sleep deprivation talking,” Abbott said.

“Wham Bam Play Slam” provides a fun environment for students to break the ice with one another and take a breather after the first week of school as well as produce an entire play.

Listed below is the schedule of events for Wham Bam Play Slam.

Friday

7:00 p.m.: Arrival of students/meet and greet/ free snacks/ games

9:00 p.m.: writers choose directors/ directors choose actors

After 9:00 p.m.: sleepover in the CAT

Saturday

3:00 p.m.: Writers distribute scripts

6:00 p.m.: Tech rehearsal

7:00 p.m.: House opens and audience is seated

7:30 p.m.: performances begin