Career fair to connect students to employers

•  

Cydney Long

Georgia Southern University students will have the opportunity to meet over 80 recruiters and employers from various companies tomorrow at the Eagle Expo Career Fair.

The career fair, hosted by the Office of Career Services will be held at the RAC from 12-4 p.m.

“These employers are here to meet students,” Donna Lowe, career development specialist for CLASS, said. “That’s their purpose, to get to know students.”

This is the biggest event of the semester for Career Services.

“We have a database of employers that we send invitations to,” Heather Scarboro, coordinator of career programs, said. “Then we have our wish list of employers that we try to target when we hear people are trying to get in certain areas.”

A few of the companies attending are Hormel Foods, the Mayo Clinic, Sherwin-Williams and Wild Adventures. A complete list of attending employers can be found on the Eagle Career Net website.

“We want students to arrive with a plan, they know who they’re going to meet, they know how they’re going to introduce themselves, they’re dressed professionally and have a résumé,” Lowe said.

“It’s a great way to get introduced to the companies and to start networking, meeting recruiters and learning how to interact in that setting,” Michael Kayler, senior marketing and management major, said.

Scarboro hopes that students will gain a sense of direction and many opportunities from the fair.

“Hopefully [students] will take away potential opportunities – whether it be internships, co-ops or full-time jobs – they have an opportunity to talk face-to-face with a recruiter, with people who are hiring, that you don’t necessarily get any other time,” Scarboro said.

“It’s great because especially in college career fairs, it’s still a professional setting but you get a lot more opportunity to get a feel for what recruiters are looking for,” Kayler said. “You can ask an HR manager ‘what do you look for in college candidates?’”

Career Services is also hosting a Résumé Boot Camp from 5-8 p.m. in the Russell Union Ballroom.

“Employers will be available to critique student’s résumés and give them feedback on editing changes that will impress a future employer,” Lowe said. 

“What’s great about having the recruiter is that you’re hearing from the recruiter what exactly they like to see,” Scarboro said.

Students should come to the career fair dressed in business casual attire and with multiple copies of their résumés, Scarboro said.

Lowe said, “Those that present themselves most professionally are the ones that stand out.”