STEM festival to showcase GSU

Alanna Navin

Georgia Southern University will showcase a hands-on experience to get students interested in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) from Sept. 12-14.

“The purpose of the STEM Festival is to use exploration stations to demonstrate to our greater community that science, technology, engineering and math, despite many misconceptions, can be fun,” Dr. Karin Scarpinato, associate dean for faculty and research and biology professor, said in a news release.

“Subjects that seemed boring in school have some very real applications and are tied to interesting careers,” Scarpinato said in the news release.

The first event, i2Work, will take place on Sept. 12 in the Russell Union Ballroom from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. and will provide students with opportunities to meet with employers about internships, co-ops and employment.

The second event, i2Research, will take place on Sept. 13 in the Williams Center from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. and will highlight all the research being performed at GSU including the Institute of Coastal Plain Science, public heath and athletic training.

On Sept. 14, the STEM festival will wrap up in the Nessmith-Lane Conference Center.

The event is designed for high school students and children who want to learn about robotics, make ice cream with liquid nitrogen, launch rockets with Alka Seltzer and become a “Star Wars” Jedi, according to the news release.

“There are many misconceptions about what STEM courses have to do with real life and what careers are affiliated with them,” Scarpinato said in the news release “the STEM Festival provides an opportunity to begin addressing these issues.”