High school teams to participate in Erk Russell Classic

Randall Hampton

With bragging rights on the line, four teams are set to square off this Saturday at Allen E. Paulson Stadium for the second annual Erk Russell High School Classic.

Game one is scheduled for 5 p.m. when the Jenkins County High School War Eagles play against the Johnson County High School Trojans. Head coach Ashley Harden will lead Jenkins County into battle against Don Norton, who will call the shots for Johnson County.

Last season, these two teams split the season series 1-1 with Johnson County shutting out Jenkins County 14-0 in the season opener.  Jenkins County could only manage six first downs and 106 yards of total offense for the entire game.

Payback time came in the final game of the season for Jenkins County as it pulled out a 22-18 victory.

The win pushed Jenkins County to 6-4 and dropped Johnson County to 8-3 for the season.  When these two teams play each other, the games are hard fought defensive battles with each team holding the other team’s high powered offense well below its season average.

Jenkins County posted scores of 60, 48, 45 and 42 points during last season but failed to break 25 against Johnson County.  Johnson County could not score more than 18 points against Jenkins County even though the team had games of 53, 49, 46 and 42 points.

Once the score is settled between Jenkins County and Johnson County, the final game of the night will kick off at 8 p.m. between the Metter High School Tigers and the Emanuel County Institute High School Bulldogs.

ECI is the reigning Class A State Champions after its 47-7 destruction of Dooly County High School in the state championship game last December.  En route to the championship, ECI nearly blanked Metter winning 42-7 in the inaugural Erk Russell High School Classic.

Metter will have the advantage of not being rusty after a 13-0 win over the Claxton Tigers last Friday.  Unfortunately, that may not be enough to stop the potent running game of ECI, led by senior running back James Brown.

Last season, Brown rushed for 993 yards and 12 touchdowns, according to Maxpreps.com.  Brown was one of five players to score a touchdown against Metter last year.

Tickets for the games are available at the Georgia Southern University ticket office for $10 in advance. Tickets at the gate will be $15.

A portion of the proceeds from the event will go to the Eagle Football Alumni Association.