Breakin’ out the spring break gear

Lindsey McCormick

Don’t chance a visit from the beach police by showing up with last year’s spring break style.

Whether students decide to party hard in Panama City or relax on Tybee Island, looking the part of a trendy beach babe is a must. Choosing the right outfit can be a little more exciting with help from GSU fashion majors.

High-waisted shorts, crop tops, bandeau bikinis, bright colors and patterns were all seen repetitively on this season’s runways and have found their way into GSU fashionistas’ spring break style.

High-waists

The 80’s have returned and are making legs look sexy with shredded denim and high waists.

“If you have the body to wear a crop top and high-waisted shorts, I like it. They have a really good design element, especially because they’re so young and fresh,” Lenzee Nobles, senior fashion merchandising major, said.

“I do like high-waisted shorts, but only if they’re done the right way,” Lynnsey Edmondson, senior fashion merchandising major, said.

Choosing the right pair of shoes to wear with these shorts can make or break the outfit.

“Jeffrey Campbell’s big platform shoes have been really cute this season. I also like to wear my combat boots with high-waisted shorts all the time,” Kathryn Lim, senior fashion merchandising major, said.

Tribal & vintage swimsuits

Exotic prints are on the prowl, and classic bathing suits from the 20’s are tagging along right behind them.

“I would pick a high-waist vintage swimsuit with a cute bandeau top. I’m also into the mix and match color concept with bikinis right now,” Miah Glover, senior fashion merchandising major, said.

“I’m really into the tribal prints. It has become a huge trend and it’s awesome if it’s used correctly. A lot of stores have tried to use tribal print and you look at the clothes and you can see where they’re going, but it’s not quite as good as you want it to be,” Lim said.

“We’re seeing a lot of Chevron print right now, black and white, tribal and of course emerald green, the color of the year, shown in this season’s swimsuits,” Beth Meyers, fashion merchandising and apparel design professor, said.

Edmondson said, “I definitely go towards more of a bandeau style with a skimpier bottom, like cheeky style.”

Hats & shades

Three must-haves that students can’t go without include hats and shades. Students can make like Audrey Hepburn by throwing on her famous giant sunglasses and beach headwear.

“I would definitely bring anything big: big hat, big wedges and my big aviators,” Meyers said.

“Three items I would never go without on spring break would be a big, floppy hat, a flowy cover-up and a pair of Jackie-O sunglasses,” Glover said. 

Bangles & accessories

Adding elements of glitz and glam will surely make your spring break outfit shine.

“I couldn’t go on spring break without lots and lots of metal bangles. I’m also a huge fan of Knot + Bow jewelry, made by GSU alumna Karli Campbell,” Nobles said.

“I love to layer my bracelets. Bangles are great, but I really love the new ‘cross’ jewelry that has been coming out. I always also have a lot of different rings,” Edmondson said.

Glover said, “I really like gold watches and long, charmed necklaces.”