Markley proposes murals

Lauren Gorla

Scott Markley, Student Government Association senator, proposed the possibility of creating multiple art projects to show the creativity of Georgia Southern University students.

“I did a lot of research on how cities reinvent themselves using art.  I was thinking of some sort of art project to beautify the campus and add a little excitement to it,” Markley said.

SGA was in favor of the idea, and voted to carry on the discussion with the departments at GSU that would control these types of projects.

The first project Markley proposed would be to paint a mural in the Center for Art and Theatre that would serve as a piece of “authentic history,” representing GSU at the time it was painted.

“The Center for Art and Theatre is a giant building, but there’s a giant brick wall with no design or anything on it, so first and foremost, I want to see if we can do some sort of mural that art students can design to make it come to life,” Markley said.

Students could help fund this event and create a lasting mark on the university by buying colored bricks with their name on it that would be used to create the mural, Markley said.

“The next idea: the backside of the RAC is a giant brick wall and kind of boring but it doesn’t have to be that way.  So on the outside of the wall we paint it as if it’s the inside of the RAC so when you’re outside, you look in and see people working out.  On the inside, you look out and it’s the outside so like it’s a beautiful day.  You can think of it like a window but it’s a painting.  It’s just one of those things that I think would be really unique to this campus,” Markley said.

Markley also suggested replacing the black poles on the pedestrium with something more fun and creative, like chess pieces or eagles.

Markley said, “I think this could be an opportune time to do something a little more artistic and creative because we are college students and for a college, I think there should be a sense of creativity that could outdo other areas.”