Doo-Dah dance offs ensue

William Price

A packed Hanner Fieldhouse watched as Kappa Delta, Dyversion Dance Team and Forte Step Team overcame the tough competition of other student organizations in their respective groups to take the title as this year’s Doo-Dah champions.

Kappa Delta secured the victory in the Doo-Dah portion, Dyversion Dance Team in the dance portion and finally Forte Step Team in the step segment.

“I’m so happy. We worked so hard. God was on our side,” Chinomaso Ekeke, junior biology pre-med major and member of the winning Forte Step Team, said.

“We prayed and he came through for us. It’s an honor to win this in his name,” Ekeke said

The groups were judged on their precision, originality, use of the homecoming theme and the overall impressions left on judges.

“It was pretty cool to see different groups of people trying something new and fun. It’s much harder than it looks,” Libby Butgereit, one of the judges of the event, said.

Present at the show were six judges with backgrounds in music, dance and step, including the Director of CRI America Minc and the Director of the Office of Student Activities Tina Powellson, among others.

Competing in the event were over 15 student organizations from on campus and off.

Taking second in the Doo-Dah segment was Phi Mu, right behind for third was Alpha Omega Pi. In the step portion observers saw Zeta Tau Alpha take runner-up and the Student Government Association take third.

“We’re so relieved. We worked really hard to get this. We weren’t going to lose. It’s truly an honor,” Simone Douglas, junior Spanish major and member of the winning Dyversion Dance Team, said.

The winning team took home a $200 check along with a year’s worth of pride that goes along with winning Doo-Dah.

Every team in the competition was commended for their efforts and their contribution to a successful Doo-Dah.

Terico Agnew, 2012 Mr. GSU, said, “Doo-Dah was really a great opportunity for a diverse set of students to come together in a wonderful atmosphere to share their hard work.”