Eagles to sport new uniforms for Military Appreciation

Kevin Gregan

The Georgia Southern University Athletics Department, the Army National Gaurd and the ROTC Eagle Battalion revealed special uniforms at the Rotunda that the Eagles will wear on Military Appreciation Day, Oct. 13, against Wofford College.

“It’s with great pride and great pleasure that I know our guys will put these uniforms on, wear them with pride and go to battle, represent Georgia Southern, the Army National Guard and all of those who wear the uniform that fight for the red, white and blue,” Head Coach Jeff Monken said.

The jersey is digitally camouflaged and it features the colors from each branch in the military. The helmet features a Marine-red stripe down the middle.

The uniforms have garnered a lot of praise on Twitter and a huge roar was heard coming from the Russell Union during the unveiling.

The U.S. Army parachute team, The Golden Knights, will give the Eagle fans an exciting opening as members of this elite group will parachute onto the field during kickoff against the Terriers.

With more than 600 active duty, reserve and veteran soldiers attending GSU, it has become important for the university to show its appreciation.

“The longstanding relationship between Georgia Southern and the military is one aspect of our campus that we take great pride in,” GSU President Dr. Brooks Keel said.

The Eagle Battalion here on campus has been honored amongst the top eight ROTC programs for the last two years. During those two years, GSU has also been named amongst the most military-friendly schools in the nation.

The ROTC on campus has had a long history here on campus. During World War II, GSU provided a language institute for the U.S. Army.

The National Guard is starting Snacks for Soldiers on the same day, which is a program that sends donations of non-perishable snacks to members of the military deployed overseas.