Many museums to offer free admission for Super Museum Sunday

Alyssa Schiffman, Staff Writer

Georgia’s rich culture will be on display this year as over 40 historic sites, art museums, house museums, cultural institutions, education, and wildlife centers throughout the coastal region will open their doors to the public free of charge by tradition of the Georgia Historical Society.

Running from 12-4 p.m. (hours of operation of specific institutions vary),  the event is  part of the Georgia Historical Festival: an educational program that runs from September and concludes with the Georgia Day parade in February.

The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, located in Pooler, is a must-see. It boasts  incredible collections of airplanes as well as an array of historical artifacts unique to the museum. Prominent exhibits include the Combat Gallery, Honoring the Eighth, Colonial Group Inc. Art Gallery, and Fly Girls of WWII.

Oatland Island Wildlife Center, an animal preserve and nature trail sitting on 175 acres of forest wetlands, is a great opportunity for patrons to get an up close view of dozens of species that are native to North America. Gray wolves, cougars, American bison, and birds of prey usually dominate visitors’ attention, but the center also keeps friendlier animals in their petting zoo.

Downtown Savannah also has some fabulous museums that are worth stopping by, such as the Telfair Museums, the Jepson Center for the Arts, the Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Owens-Thomas house.

The Jepson Center, a gorgeous modern building housing contemporary art and photography, and the Academy of Arts and Sciences, a renovated mansion containing extravagant 19th and 20th-century art collections, are both located on Telfair square. The Owens-Thomas House, a National Historic Landmark, is only a short walk away from the other two Telfair museums, featuring pieces dating back to the 18th-century.

If one is willing to make the trip out to the Wormsloe Historic Site, they would be rewarded with the breathtaking view of the opulent state park located on Skidaway Road. The site provides a look into the lives of Georgia’s earliest settlers and founders, but as an added treat for Super Museum Sunday, the site will be holding the traditional Colonial Faire and Muster event. Participants can enjoy colonial military demonstrations, crat demonstrations, food and dance, while the Mustering of the Militia will occur at 11 a.m.

Four hours to take in all this history may seem like a decent amount of time to fit in a trip to all of these locations, but there’s no telling where one might end up spending the most time. Plan accordingly and enjoy!

For a complete list of museums participating in Super Museum Sunday as well as locations and hours of operation, visit georgiahistoryfestival.org.