Ethen Bodruk holding his personal favorite duck “Opal”.
Oh Shucky Ducky
May 1, 2024
Community Shred Day
AI Usage in Students

Barbie Is Buzzing. What Do GS Women Have to Say?

The Barbie movie. It was a hot topic of conversation this summer and continues as one today. The film just topped $1 billion in global ticket sales and is quickly becoming one of the highest-grossing movies of 2023. It even inspired a TikTok trend of women sharing stories of “girlhood” and what it means to be a woman in society.

Audiences arrive in pink attire expecting a movie depicting the perfect Barbie doll, but leave with unexpected emotions. We spoke with five GS women regarding their thoughts on the movie and how it impacted them.

“It showed all of the struggles that are hidden in our society,” GS student Abigail Fritz said. Fritz is a second year student with the Clinical Mental Health Counseling graduate program. “It really highlighted everything that we see, especially in our practices.” She recommends it for people to see what our society looks like right now, since it’s not too overly educational.

“I think it’s impactful for a lot of different people in a lot of different ways,” sophomore Audrey Smiles said. “Everyone views it differently and I think that’s what makes a good movie.”

“You learn a lot from it, even if you just go for the pink and pretty.” sophomore Winnie Mwangi said. “It was good to understand that she had to learn that she can be anything. Not just perfect.”

“It was all over the place for me, it was really boring,” dual-enrolled student Lay Aikens said. “
“It shows a misinterpretation of how women are seen in our society and lack thereof [women] in jobs and stuff.” “I’d recommend it to my smart friends.”

“I think it’s just a good movie and teaches lessons,” sophomore Alex Lynch said. Lynch felt impacted by the movie because of her relationship with her mom and sister.

So, what are your thoughts on Barbie? Let us know by dming us @georgeannereflector

You can also check out the Barbie bookcase display located on the second floor of the Henderson Library. It features loads of pink and books all about women. The display focuses to empower women and help find their individuality, according to Henderson’s student employee, Ari Samour.