Three Tree takes root in Statesboro

Jozsef Papp

For Philip Klayman, owner of Three Tree Coffee Roasters, one of the main reasons for moving to their current location on South Main Street was the construction of The Blue Mile. Originally, they weren’t looking to open a coffee shop, since they had a coffee roasting place by Mill Creek Park, but the location became available and the idea changed.

“It definitely factored into the decision as to why we choose this spot. We actually were not looking to do a coffee shop, so it wasn’t like we were shopping different locations, but when we saw this location, kind of gave us the idea to do the coffee shop,” Klayman said. “It didn’t hurt that it was on the Blue Mile. We definitely noticed that and we were excited about that. For us, I think we are motivated.”

Being part of The Blue Mile can have a positive impact on a business, but the businesses on the mile stretch on South Main Street can also have a positive and influential impact on the community and the overall success of The Blue Mile.

Impact on the Blue Mile

Jami Joyner, barista and wedding coordinator at Three Tree, has been involved with Three Tree since the beginning. She started out observing Klayman’s wife, Anna, roasting coffee and later became an intern for the shop. She feels that the success of businesses on The Blue Mile will allow it to grow and hopefully encourage business owners to open businesses along The Blue Mile.

Jami’s mother, Lisa Joyner, who is also a part owner, agrees with her daughter that The Blue Mile can have a big impact on the community and vice-versa, specially with college students at Georgia Southern. Lisa Joyner hopes that with the partnership between The Blue Mile and the university, it could improve the Statesboro economy.

“I like the fact that it starts from the [university]. I have lived in Statesboro before and both of my kids went to school here, so I have been here on and off and I don’t think we have ever done a good job of collaborating with the [university], so that is a great thing we can do as businesses,” Lisa Joyner said. “Not only partner with the local people, but they are also attracting college students. I think that makes a huge difference, it is a big piece of our economy.”

Klayman feels it’s important for local businesses like his to add value to the city and make it “an exciting quarter to walk down and get downtown”. Having lived in Athens, Klayman hopes that Downtown Statesboro becomes like Downtown Athens with a thriving downtown and a lot of community events.

“I think that is our hope that we can do our part to make that happen and as that happens it will be able to pay off for us as well,” Klayman said.

Impact on the community

Three Tree has a three fold mission: Empower our farmers, end human trafficking and engage our local community. There are different ways in which Three Tree meets their mission, with engaging the community being a big one.

The business hosts a variety of fundraisers and events to engage the community with their business through coffee. They collaborate with a variety of organizations to host different events, Lisa Joyner said.

Not only do they host different fundraisers, but they also try to be local in the different merchandise and products they purchase. For Klayman, that is what makes Three Tree stand out above other local shops and the national chains.

“I know that this community rallies around people that are from Statesboro and start a business in Statesboro. My wife is from here, she grew up here,” Klayman said. “I think that is what sets us apart, just the fact that we are local and people here want to support us.”

Customer/Business Relationship

Going into Three Tree feels like seeing family again, with it’s friendly environment and their great coffee, it has become a favorite for Statesboro locals and college students.

“I think I came in the first time my freshman year because I have heard a lot of good stuff about it,” Cassidy Curry, junior early childhood education major, said. “I love [the environment]. It is definitely one of my favorite coffee shops.”

Klayman, Lisa and Jami like the fact of creating a family environment and culture of getting to know their customers. Klayman feels that local business are one of the most important parts in a community.

“I think [local businesses] are huge. I think incredibly important. The culture of a city is defined by its local community,” Klayman said. “It is about what is local. It is about what the local people can offer and what this local community can offer.”