Campus Chick-fil-A and Starbucks to be renovated

• Courtesy of Eddie Mills, associate vice president of Auxiliary Services

Erin Mcguiness

Auxiliary Services is making plans to renovate the Chick-fil-A and Starbucks in the Russell Union next summer.

According to Eddie Mills, associate vice president of Auxiliary Services, both locations will close May 5, the last day of exams for the spring semester, and renovations are set to begin May 8. Starbucks is planned to reopen in July, while Chick-fil-A is planned to reopen by the start of the fall semester.

“Both spaces will have a brand new look and feel. The renovations will allow both business to increase its speed of service to customers,” Mills said.

Starbucks will get new seating areas, lighting, menu boards, sink and cabinetry, and the flooring will be replaced, according to Mills.

“I’m excited because it is a good change. I come [to Starbucks] to study and wait for classes, so it would be nice to have more seating options,” Caroline Wilson, sophomore exercise science major, said.

According to Mills, Chick-fil-A will have many changes to the aesthetics with new flooring, wall coverings, signage and counters, as well as improvements in the kitchen.

“Chick-fil-A has always been busy, but I have never experienced bad service. I think the renovations will help count down on the wait and it will be good to update the aesthetics,” Emily Perry, junior anthropology major, said.

The renovations are two separate projects. Eagle Dining Services will pay $160,000 for the Starbucks renovations, and $300,000 for Chick-fil-A’s.

“I think that this will make both locations more convenient and faster. I kind of get mixed up and chaotic with the long lines and people standing around everywhere,” Matthew Wimberly, sophomore economics major, said.

Auxiliary Services continues to explore retail dining opportunities to bring on campus. They are in the final stages of bringing Sushi with Gusto to campus, but are still deciding on the best location.

“During the semester, you’ll see our marketing team surveying the campus in a variety of ways to help in our growth strategy for Eagle Dining Services. We have two fantastic dining halls and we need to continue to complement those with an enhanced retail dining operation,” Mills said.