Georgia Southern offers thousands of jobs to students

Tiffany Skinner

Need a job? Tired of your parents telling you to get out there and get involved? Georgia Southern University employs over 2,600 students every semester and may have just the job for you. 

Students who demonstrate financial need based on their Free Application for Student Aid are eligible for Federal Work Study. After applying and being awarded Federal Work Study, students may apply for any job on campus. Anyone applying for these jobs must bring their Work Study authorization form to the interview.

Work Study students are allowed to 20 hours per week and 144 hours over the course of the semester. Positions can be retained between fall and spring semesters and students with at least one credit hour of classes over the summer may work over the summer as well. All students interested in the program must be in good academic standing to keep their positions. 

“My work study position offers flexible hours that correlate with my class schedule,” Amanda Francis, a junior health education major said.

Work Study students can apply for a variety of job positions including tutor, data clerk, and customer service representative and are required to follow the dress code of their department.

Students who don’t qualify for work study positions can apply for institutional positions. These positions are not based on financial need but students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours and be in good academic stranding. Those who work institutional positions are allowed to work 25 per week and may hold a work study job as well. Institutional student employees are paid at least $7.25, but can be paid up $19 an hour in specialized positions.

Campus Recreation & Intramurals has the most student employees. If a student applies and is selected for a position in the Health Services they must take a drug test before being hired. Others may be subject to drug testing if reasonable suspicion is documented by the hiring manager with the Department of Human Resources.

The Student Employment Center encourages students seek on-campus employment while in college because it supports the experiential learning theory. We believe that employment will help students identify successful work characteristics and prepare them for full time employment opportunities.