Are summer classes right for you?

Julia Fechter

As the summer semester is fast approaching it is important for Georgia Southern University students to consider taking summer classes, whether it’s for extra credit hours or just because they can, summer classes are linked to a few stipulations.

There are several different things students should consider before deciding whether or not to sign up for summer classes. GSU offers two separate terms during the summer time, A and B term.

A term is offered from May 18 through June 18 and the B term is offered from June 22 through July 22. Online classes are offered each term as well.

Classes during the summer may seem like a drag or a burden. Depending on one’s major; however, for some students taking summer classes may not be optional. Also, it follows that if one takes classes during the summer, they can get finished with college faster. As beneficial as taking summer classes may seem, financial difficulties can make taking classes seem like a long-shot.

Financial aid is offered for the summer semester just like it is for the regular school year, if a student already has the HOPE scholarship that will cover classes just as it does during the year to whatever extent possible. The FAFSA application is to be filled out just the same online and

Students should complete the FASFA application before completing paperwork for any type of scholarship or loan. There are different types of loans: federal, private and Georgia Student Access loans offered to GSU students to cover academic costs and fees as well. The PELL Grant and Federal Work Study programs are available for students seeking financial aid or a job over the summer at the University in addition to the HOPE scholarship.

While Zell Miller and HOPE are applied for through the FASFA application, many other institutional and external scholarships exist. For more information on the different kinds of aid available, students can visit the Georgia Southern webpage.

Michael Jacobs, a senior Online General Studies major, offers his advice to fellow students considering taking summer classes:

The biggest challenge with taking summer classes is time management. “That’s the only way you’re gonna survive! If a friend calls you up and wants to go out, you gotta be strong enough to say no,” Jacobs said.

Despite the odds, summer classes can prove beneficial to students in the long run. If managed efficiently, one can still have time to go to the beach and pass their classes.