Memories to Munchies: Health Services to address the affects of Marijuana on the brain

Tiffany Skinner

The Health Services Department of Health Education and Promotion will host the Lunch and Learn: From the Munchies to Memory Lunch on Wednesday, March 4.

The event will take place from 12 p.m. until 1:30 p.m. in the Russell Union room 2047. There are currently 46 slots available. Students can sign up using the link posted on the school calendar or by contacting LaShanda Johnson an employee at Health Services. Lunch will be provided by Shane’s Rib Shack and students who sign up will be receive free food.

Dr. Chris Glenn from Bulloch Recovery will be the guest speaker. He will cover a wide range of topics including cognitive impacts, legal consequences, mental illness, fertility and dependency in effect to medical marijuana.

“Many students view marijuana as a completely safe drug, but that is not the case. Students will probably be surprised to know that for some users, marijuana is more than a recreational drug with no consequences,” Nicole Withers, Administrative Coordinator of the Office of Alcohol and Other Drugs Programs, said.

“I want to attend the launch to learn about how the body reacts to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and why marijuana makes people hungry,” Kayla Jordan, freshmen pre-nursing major, said.

The event coordinators do not plan to give out attendance verification at the event but if a student feels they need it they may speak with Nichole Withers before or after the event.