Freezing Fashion

How to Look Your Best  and Stay Warm
Freezing+Fashion

As the temperature drops, it may be harder to find cute, affordable outfits to wear when going out. To help offer some suggestions, I spoke to Jess Harrison, senior and president of the Fashion Menagerie club, to hear what she had to say and to see if she had any recommendations.

Q: What is a trending piece that is good to wear when dressing for the winter?

A: “I feel like the big staple piece this winter for women specifically are these fleece-lined tights. They are warm in the winter weather and they are perfect for wearing underneath dresses, skirts and even jeans. They go for around $20 on Amazon.”

Q: Do you have any good outfit recommendations?

A: “For daytime going out, my recommendation is definitely leggings. Brown, black, and red tend to be the best colors for the fall and winter. Schoolgirl, pleated, and pencil-type skirts are also what I tend to go for. For tops, I like to go for a turtleneck, V-neck, or cable knit sweater because they add a little texture to the outfit. Over that, I would go for a puffer or a trench coat, those seem to make a pretty cute outfit. For shoes, I would go for Mary Jane’s, Doc Martens, or some long boots. When I go out at night, I tend to go with the fleece-lined tights  with a little black dress or any kind of fun dress, with a colorful trench coat to add a pop of color.”

Q: Could you give some advice to people looking for good winter outfits?

A: “Always be happy with what you are wearing, and make sure you’re comfortable. Also, explore fashion as much as you can, and don’t dress a certain way only because your favorite influencers are doing it, dress in what makes you confident.”

As far as where to look, I asked two students if they had any good recommendations on where to shop for good pieces.

“For good outfits, I love to shop at Cheeky Bliss, and stores like Altar’d State have a bunch of good sweaters that are easy to match with some simple bottoms. Also, Amazon has a bunch of cute basics like bodysuits or sweaters for a reasonable price. As for shoes, I love my hunter boots in the winter. They’re super comfortable and easy to keep clean.”

• Marycate Cochran, Freshman

“I like to shop at American Eagle and Aerie because they have really good dupes. I also love Zara  jeans, and Abercrombie has really good quality clothes that last in tough weather.”

• Emma Price, Freshman