Women’s Health Center Revamp

Rashida Otunba

Georgia Southern University will soon have a new addition to its campus: a women’s health center.

Although the university has housed a women’s health area in the current Health Services building for years, the new women’s clinic will be located on the second floor of the new Student Health Center, separate from the other parts of the building.

“We are proud to be able to offer our students a new women’s health center space that they can call their own. It will be a comfortable, private, state of the art space where they can receive high-quality care,” Dr. Brian DeLoach, medical director and staff physician of Health Services, said.

The new addition will contain its own separate waiting room, check in area, exam room and office spaces, allowing female patients to have privacy. The current women’s health center has five exam rooms, but the new building will allow the women’s clinic to house twelve exam rooms in order to further enhance the number of patient care.

The women’s health center will continue to offer the same primary women’s health care services as the the current clinic and will continue to take most major health insurance.

“Our Women’s Health Center provides primary women’s health care, treating both acute and chronic conditions, and provides preventative health maintenance and screening exams, including annual examination, PAP smears when indicated, contraception counseling and management and basic laboratory services,” Dr. DeLoach said.

In addition to a new building, Health Services also plans to expand its staff as well.

“The new Women’s Health Center space will have room to add an additional provider at some point. That will not occur immediately. At some point in the future, we would like to have the opportunity to add a physician with either a Family Medicine or OB-GYN board certification to complement our current three Women’s Health Nurse Practitioners,” Dr. DeLoach said.

The Student Health Building, which will be built across from the Nessmith-Lane Conference Center on the corner of Plant Drive and Chandler Road, plans to be completed by October 2015 and will be opening by January 2016.