Eagles take first Sun Belt win over South Alabama 28-6

Hayden Boudreaux

In the first ever Sun Belt conference game the Georgia Southern football team traveled to Mobile, AL. to take on the South Alabama University Jaguars. The contest ended with the Eagles taking home their first conference win, 28-6.

The first quarter resembled a chess match between the two head coaches. Both teams played run heavy with South Alabama getting deep into Eagle territory twice put sacks and penalties kept them out of the end zone. With time winding down sophomore running back Matthew Brieda worked his magic to run in a 64 yard touchdown, his third run for over 60 yards this season, putting Brieda at 103 rushing yards on the night. The quarter ended with the Eagles on top 7-0.

Senior Eagle receiver Kentrellis Showers ignited the first drive of the second quarter with a circus catch for a 48 yard reception, capped off by a goal line dive for a touchdown by redshirt freshman running back L.A. Ramsby. With less than six minutes in the quarter the Jaguars marched down the field, ending the drive with a touchdown on fourth and short just inside the red zone but missed the extra point, 14-6 Eagles.

Both teams came out with high energy in the second half. Sophomore quarterback Kevin Ellison took an option run for 37 yards which set up a one yard dive by Brida, giving him his seventh of the season, and the Eagles extended their lead, 21-6. After another march downfield the Jaguars put themselves in scoring position with fourth and goal from the ten yard line when Eagle sophomore end Bernard Dawson brought down ended the drive with a sack.

The final quarter opened with Ellison flicking a pass over the middle that was intercepted at midfield. Unable to move the ball, the Jaguars were forced to punt the ball away to the Eagles. On the ensuing drive the Eagles drove down to the 23 yard line but missed a field goal attempt. An interception gave the Eagles the ball once again inside the Jaguar 30. Ellison fumbled the ball back into the Jaguars hands with just over six minutes left in the game.

Senior Eagle linebacker Edwin Jackson leaped and intercepted a short pass and returned it 48 yards to the Jaguar 12 yard line. Ellison faked a pitch and ran to his right for a six yard touchdown extending the lead 28-6.  The Eagles would hold on to that lead to end their first Sun Belt match with a victory.